Thursday, March 23, 2006

About BLOGTWIDDLING and API keys

If the word Blogtwiddling didn't exist - well, it does now. Did I say in my last entry I didn't have time for blogging? Darn right. But then WordPress didn't leave me my peace to work (in the sense of earning money). While I had a "last look around" before closing the door on WP, I came across an item "import" - which does exactly that: it very nicely imports your existing blogger blog... And here I went again!

Importing this blog over there was a breeze. Too easy to be true, actually! So I thought, well, let's do a little more, while we are at it. Because, while blogger incorporates the very neat function of word verification, WP does not. What it does have, however, is a nice utility called Akismet that sends spammers where they belong, sitting readily there and waiting to be activated.

From that moment on I went downhill again. In order to activate it, you need an API key, which - it tells you in the FAQ - you should find in your profile page. It doesn't tell you that you're not really regarded as a registered user if you host WP on your own site. To unearth that little but vital snippet of information took a google search and subsequent browsing of several dead links, webpages and blogs. Probably I simply didn't get it because I couldn't believe it! In essence, I had to sign up for yet another account on wordpress, activate it, check out my account information - and finally, lo and behold, take possession of my precious API key. Why are they going to such great lengths to make their own users miserable? I haven't got a clue!

I'm still not convinced WP is the way to go... Gotta think about it - not today, though!!

3 Comments:

At 21:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sabine, WP DOES have a "captcha" plugin, which is word verification to help filter out those nasty spammers!

WP is probably not for everyone, but so far I LOVE IT! :o)

 
At 21:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A link you might want to peruse in your um, spare time. ;o)

http://wp-plugins.net/

 
At 14:21, Blogger Sabine said...

...and don't lead me into temptation... comes to mind spontaneously. :D

What is spare time, anyway? Well, I'll go have a look... Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home