Monday, January 30, 2006

Voluntary Work

This afternoon I had an appointment for an interview with Maria Attard, who is in charge of Dar Guzeppa Debono, a home that cares for, helps, and gives advice to single mothers, mostly in their teens and early twens.

Maria is a full-time teacher and guidance teacher, and spends virtually all the rest of her time on the running of the home, which is entirely operated and run by volunteers.

While talking to her it became clear to me that all the idle time I have at my disposal at present is quite a luxury. Of course I'm very much hoping that the workload connected with my business will suddenly shoot up tremendously (miraculously!), but until then... To cut a long story short, before the hour was over I happily offered Maria my help with administrative stuff for an afternoon each week, starting next Wednesday, which she gratefully accepted.

I've never done any voluntary work whatsoever; I'm not really ashamed to say that I've never even thought of it... After all, never before had I so many free hours available to me. Another reason might well be that subconsciously I associated "voluntary work" with "carer job", which I admit wouldn't really be me. But organising, typing, filing... that's something I'm good at, so this is a very good way to start. I'm very much looking forward to it!

That's all for today. I'm off to MF now... haven't spent a whole minute there today, I'm beginning to suffer withdrawal symptoms! ;-)


Smoke-Quitting Update: No progress... 10 per day. Well, at least no regress either! Hey, here's another positive aspect to voluntary work: it'll take smoking off my mind for at least an afternoon a week!

1 Comments:

At 23:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, Sabine!

I have often thought about doing volunteer work for Rescue the Animals, but my full-time job just takes 100% of my energy. Someday, I hope to have the opportunity to do it though.

I know it'll be deeply gratifying for you, and it sounds like a good cause.

Oh, and hang in there on the smoking issue. Baby steps! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home