Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Eclipse! What Eclipse?!

I have no quibbles to describe myself as an unphotographer. Oh yes, I'm quite good at inventing new vocabulary on a daily basis :-) I'm totally content with my little digital camera, for which I own no special lenses or filters and whose various functions that go beyond the "auto" settings I'm happily ignorant of. I have enough learning curves to fight through at the moment, so getting into unnecessary depth of photography is not exactly what I need right now.

Notwithstanding... I was dying to capture today's partial eclipse in pixels. If you'd seen me you'd have had a grand laugh. I was giggling all by and at myself, actually - I was confident that nobody observed me! So there I was, equipped with a tripod (oh yes, I do have one of those!) and several strips of old, blank negative film.

I'll spare you more details - if you've even read this far. It was all utterly useless - even though I did see the eclipsed sun through those filmstrips! What I captured are countless suns in blue skys... no sign of an eclipse, although it was strangely cold in the sunshine. Perhaps the blue of the sky was a little more intensive than is usually the case. Or that was just my imagination.

So here are two specimen of the Mediterranean just-about-afternoon sun (12.20-12.30 pm). That it was eclipsed by the moon to about 68% - well, I'm afraid you'll just have to take my word for it! Or see a proper picture in tomorrow's newspapers. :p



__________________________________

N. B. "Spank" of Malta Forums fame had the better equipment/knowhow to take photos! (Just so you have proof that there really was an eclipse! :-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home