Saturday, March 04, 2006

What's another year?

A sunny day today - just the usual weather for my birthday. Indeed, it does make me feel good on my birthday. Always! The dark thoughts usually come before or after (never mind the weather!), but on a sunny 4th March I'm just fine. Go figure...

George and I went shopping together this morning, and for a coffee afterwards. Then brunch (we never ever manage to take breakfast like "normal" people...), followed by my chocolate birthday cake. Yummy! An especially nice touch was the idea to leave out the number of years we're celebrating.


Oh yes, and my dear sister phoned from Berlin. She came up with the idea that we should have a big party for my 50th - and promised to come to Gozo for that occasion... that subtle hint rubbed it in better than any number on the cake could have done!

So this is it: 47 years in this world. That's quite a long time. It would be less depressing if one didn't have to be reminded at every corner how quickly time is passing by. Not to mention one's inability to simply forget certain numbers and dates! I can't even forget that my first schoolday was 19th April 1966... weird, that!

In all honesty, I don't feel 47 - as a matter of fact I couldn't put into numbers how old I feel. When I came to Gozo for good I was 25 and I don't feel that much older now. Not even much wiser, although I've learnt a thing or two but nothing much in terms of earthshattering discoveries you expect to make when you think of the future at the age of 18!

Tonight we're going to have dinner at XiXi in Xaghra. Chinese cuisine at its best! My son asked me if I minded him not joining us... Well, what could I say? I reckon, that's where the real sting of ageing lies: Suddenly our kids aren't kids any longer!

Thanks to all my great friends from cyberspace who sent me messges, mails and cards. This one from Wade stands for my good mood today!

3 Comments:

At 23:07, Blogger qaminante said...

Looks like a great cake! I hope you had a wonderful day, and just remember that getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative (yes, I know the alternative we would like is to stay forever 29, but unfortunately this is the real world we are living in!). Anyway, carpe diem and all that.

 
At 13:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I was saying yesterday in the chat, you're like fine wine! We've gotta keep thinking that as the years fly by. LOL

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Love ya girl!

 
At 13:56, Blogger Sabine said...

Thanks girls :)

I guess I'll get over it, and quickly so. Too much work to keep thinking idly about age and the likes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home