Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The dark side of business!

Weather-wise this must have been - well, still is!! - one of the worst days of the season. The rain has hardly ever stopped since the early morning, while the wind has been steadily increasing little by little, until it reached force 8 tonight (so far).

This afternoon we had a long overdue meeting with an accountant. Even after an interval of four hours my head's still spinning! It's funny how they tell you that much importance (plus all the help they need!) is being given to SME's (that's small & medium enterprises, I believe) and on the other hand they try so hard at making your life a living hell... Especially if your enterprise happens to be much smaller than medium!

Also funny is that I usually use they when I talk about those in power... The Maltese often say he, in translation of the masculine "il-gvern". Probably feels much better accusing him of making my existence miserable? I ought to give it a try ;-) By the way, emoticons are something I'm missing badly in this blog...

Tonight there was a real weirdo roaming the threads of Malta Forums. He was sort of put off by the fact that posting in MF is in English. Goes to show my personality that he really made my blood boil. In my fury I coughed up a whole paragraph in Maltese to make sure he gets my drift. He really was kind of crazy - or a crazy imposter, more like it! Insisted on spiking/wrajting inglix lajk dis - probebli dis is ownli rili anderstendebel for Moltis-spiking fowks...

Well, he did provide some pretty welcome distraction from my VAT and income tax confusion. Why am I not simply grateful for that? Almost midnight again... Good night everyone!

Smoke-Quitting Update: Sorry, I almost escaped without giving due coverage to my stupid, silly and annoying smoking problem. Especially in view of the fact that a few hits on my blog come to pass only for the purpose of seeing me succeed (or fail?!). I went to such extremes today that I stored the cigarettes in my car in the garage. In this weather an ugly challenge, to travel across the garden just to get a smoke. But travel I did. :-( Might have done 12 today, but I didn't even bother to count. Tomorrow I think I'll give them to George. Will be pretty tough to beg him for a smoke!!

2 Comments:

At 23:25, Blogger qaminante said...

I understood your Maltinglish and I don't speak Maltese (wish I did!). But in case you think I am one of those who looks/lurks at your blog to see whether you succeed or fail in giving up smoking, it might reassure you to know that in my case, I just like to know I'm not the only one being miserable after having to give something up (in my case due to food allergies). You seem to be doing pretty well, all power to you.

 
At 00:11, Blogger Sabine said...

Thanks for the kind words :-) It always helps to know that one isn't the only person in the world with a particular problem!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home