Thursday, March 30, 2006

Attn Literary Agents & Publishers :-D

I don't think literary agents are a species known in Malta, at least I haven't heard of any. To publish a book in England, for instance, you'd need one of those - at least having one considerably heightens your chances of getting published. Now, to get in touch with them when you're based in Gozo is a rather tedious task. When I finished my first - and so far only - novel a couple of winters ago, I got hold of a copy of the latest "Writers' & Artists' Yearbook" and did some severe homework. Subsequently I sent my manuscript to several agents as well as publishing houses directly. Each time freshly printed, of course, and attractively presented.

Needless to say, they all came back to me (at least they do return them... Maltese publishers - judging from my experiences - don't bother!), all minus the attractive folders but plus those dreaded refusal letters, telling me off in a polite way.

In the meantime I've read it myself often enough to practically know it by heart by now. I still believe in it... And while I updated my new website's archives page I had this idea to use - once again - my online resources to maybe, just maybe, attract someone to it who could start believing in it, too. The synopsis and first two chapters can be found here.

Even if you cannot help me getting it published, I'll be very happy with your feedback - be it positive or negative. If I were just seeking blind admiration I wouldn't expose it to all and sundry in this way! ;-)

I know this smacks of moderate despair, but it really is not much more than one of those spontaneous ideas of mine, which I just as spontanously put into action. It won't hurt, that's for sure!

3 Comments:

At 00:28, Blogger Arcibald said...

Just my 2cents... I think I would go the 'indy' if you have some few hundred pounds to 'invest' in it. Designing it, printing it and marketing it in our small island should be 'that' difficult, at least compared to much bigger countries.

 
At 09:50, Blogger Sabine said...

Well, that's my main problem: I don't have a couple of hundred pounds to spare... :(

 
At 00:16, Blogger Arcibald said...

That's another thing mela :)

Taqtax qalbek imma... ma tantx hawn awturi Maltin jiktbu bl-Ingliz, specjalment dwar Ghawdex, jigifieri it could be a niche market.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home